Saturday, January 29, 2011

MBA and Entrepreneurship

While I tried to do something similar (www.ibspals.com) to Facebook (probably was not aware of Facebook then), I failed miserably.  Probably my next post will be the lessons learned from ibspals.com and my shortcomings.
 I will say the best thing about me is that I don't boast of I being better (or worse) than others.  But I have a dream.  And I think having a dream keep me ticking.  I am an simple MBA (Mediocre But Arrogant).  On a serious note much can be written about MBA and entrepreneurship.

In my view they both are in opposite directions.  Currently the so-called high ranking B-schools charge hefty fees leaving no scope for the student to pursue his own passion or business.  Students without MBA feel they are left out and currently out of wagon.  Nobody focuses on MBA and business.  The TIME ad shows why MBA is needed for getting jobs and promotion in that.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lyUiiLl5E.
They work for years and years just to pay off their loans and nobody is willing to risk as in business you are never sure of your revenues.  So they forget their passions and work like donkeys in a yoke.  More responsibilities (marriage, child, parents yada yada yada...) come and pay increases over years.  At that time leaving a high paying job and starting a business looks like more risky affair.
Though Indians are known to be risk takers, it seems after MBA they become risk avoiders.  Because they have already taken a large number of risk nobody (leaving apart some) wants to take more risk.  So an MBA remains Mediocre but Arrogant.  However things have changed for lot number of people like Chetan Bhagat, Harsha Bhogle, Anurag Batra and others.  But remember they were from very good B-schools and they were not required to pay hefty fees.  Although we have among the highest number of Engineers and Managers passing each year, the number of startups we see each year is very less.  But I am hopeful of India being shining again, as more and more people are quitting their jobs and have regained their passion.  May be one day I will also have the courage to do something new.  Till then do the job and keep paying the EMI.  

P.S. I suppose these good B-schools have also increase their fees recently.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.businessinsider.com/top-100-entrepreneurs-who-made-millions-without-a-college-degree-2011-1

    ReplyDelete