Sunday, March 6, 2011

Google Maps Code - Possible Extension

A year back or so I gave an interview for Google Maps.  Though I could not clear that interview, I really like the organization and the facilities inside.  I believe Google is the most innovative tech company.
An amazing idea struck me today. I ordered a pizza from Domino's and that was my first order online at my room.  I had great difficulty explaining the room location to the girl at the other end.  Although after two minutes, I told her another landmark and asked the delivery body to call me.  In my mind I wished if there was a code or something which I could give to them, it would make my task and other customers task easier.  Then Google Maps came to my mind.  
I suppose Google can implement a 8-digit which anybody can share with anybody to give there whereabouts.
To search for the person, you can either click the whole link which can be something like "http://maps.google.com/code/aFG78ert" or go to http://maps.google.com and enter "aFG78ert" in the search box.  By having such a code its possible to shorten your address and also show your location on Google maps.  For Google it can be a medium to create shortage and increase the usage of Google Maps.  With shortage I mean, these codes can be custom made or computer generated.  So the appropriate ones, disappear first.
 With these 8 digit code, it is possible to create 2.8 trillion codes as it can includes 26 letters of alphabet and 10 numbers.  I suppose these would be enough for Google maps initially.  Later if they want they can increase the number of letters.   What say guys do you think this will work out.  Share it with friends to find out what they think.

P.S. My room mate is working with Google Maps and I had no discussion about this with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment